Policies and Regulations
Our English programmes are for students who are learning English as a second or other language. They are not designed for native English speakers.
If a student has an issue which may affect their learning, such as dyslexia or ADHD, or a disability such as loss of sight or hearing, we would invite them to contact the Academic Manager to discuss ways in which we can help you to undertake a language course with us.
At the start of their course, students have a meeting with the Academic Manager, who will talk to them about their individual learning plan. This will help them to set learning goals and ensure they successfully engage with the programme.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellation requests will be responded to within 10 working days. If a refund is approved, it will be transferred within 10 working days of the cancellation refund being approved.
Cancellation Policy is as follows:
1. Bookings may be cancelled up to 2 weeks prior to commencement of course with a €75 administration penalty. Where accommodation has been booked an additional €95 penalty applies.
2. For cancellations 1 to 7 days before the course begins, 50% of the full amount will be refunded.
3. There is NO refund for any cancellation once the course has commenced. This includes late arrival, early departure, or days missed during the course.
4. At least 24 hours is required to cancel an individual lesson without cost. Lessons cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged at the full price of the lesson.
5. A fee of €200 applies to cancellations due to visa refusal (visa refusal documentation required for refunds). Course fees are refunded minus this cancellation fee.
6. All accommodation cancellations after arrival are non-refundable. The same applies if you have to shorten your stay – payment is non-refundable. No shows, failure to arrive or postponement incurs charges in full from the booking date.
All withdrawals need to be made in writing to Active Language Learning. If the student wishes to withdraw from their course after arrival at the school, they must inform the Managing Director or Academic Manager explaining their circumstances.
Management of refunds
All refunds are administered by Kay Mahon ( email@example.com, phone +35312843420)
Sick Leave Policy
You must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org every day you are sick.
You must have a doctor’s letter or sick cert for any sick leave you take.
On the first day you return to class after you have been sick, you must give a certificate from a doctor to the Academic Manager.
Any days you take off because you are ill without having a doctor’s letter is regarded as absence.
A student who does not follow the above procedure and who absents themselves from the school for a period longer than three days will be warned about their non-attendance in accordance with our policy on absenteeism.
Punctuality and Attendance Policy
Students will only be given attendance for the classes they attend.
Students will not be given attendance for holidays or for sick leave.
Each teacher has a list of the students in their class and they will mark attendance for each class.
Attending only one of two classes in a day will only give students 50% attendance for that day.
Any student who leaves class before the end will not receive attendance for that class.
The Academic Manager reviews all attendance on a weekly basis, and records an electronic copy of all attendance.
All students must maintain an attendance of 85%. Persistent attendance less than this will result in warnings being issued and may lead to expulsion.
Persistent lateness will result in 1% being taken off your final attendance.
Students who have authorised, documented sick leave/ compassionate leave will be allowed extra days class at the end of their course equal to any classes that they miss, so long as these classes can all be taken within the current study visa (in the case of visa required students).
Protection for Enrolled Learners Policy
Medical Insurance Policy
EU students should apply for an E111 card before they arrive. This will entitle them to the same public medical cover which they receive in their own country.
Students from outside the EU should organise medical insurance before they arrive.
Should you wish, Active Language Learning can organise medical insurance for you. Our medical insurance is provided by O’Driscoll O’Niel. You can see the full terms and conditions of our medical insurance here.
Should you have any questions about medical insurance, please ask our reception ( email@example.com)
Holidays and breaks Policy
If you need to take a scheduled break during your course, you can discuss this with the Academic Manager at your initial meeting.
In some exceptional circumstances, for example in cases of illness or close family bereavement, it may be possible to take an unscheduled break.
You can apply for an unscheduled break in writing to the Academic Manager. You must attach evidence and/or documentation you have with this application. You will receive a response within 3 working days.
The Academic Manager, who manages all student holidays and breaks (scheduled and unscheduled) can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
External end-of-programme exams Policy
All students at Active Language Learning who attend a course of 25 weeks or longer are required to register for the relevant external exam for their course.
In the case of students who are studying for 25 weeks or more on a student visa, these students must register for this exam at the beginning of their course.
External exams are corrected by Cambridge ESOL and the results are sent to the school.
All long term students will have a meeting with the Academic Manager on the first day of their course. The Academic Manager will discuss the student’s learning plan and recommend an exam.
Students who are in Ireland on a student visa will be reminded during induction that they must take an external exam. They will be asked to sign a statement to confirm this.
The Academic Manager will register students for the relevant exam and inform students of the time and date of the exam in good time.
Students will either undertake one of the Cambridge ESOL examinations (PET, FCE, CAE, CPE) or the IELTS exam.
If students have questions about their external exams, they should contact the Academic Manager ( email@example.com, +35312843420)
The Cambridge Suite Exams
Cambridge exams are some of the world’s most popular English language exams. There are four Cambridge exams which are offered by ALL. They are as follows:
EXAM CEFR Level
Our Academic Manager can give you advice about which Cambridge exam to take.
More information about Cambridge exams can be found here.
IELTS is an exam which is designed to prepare learners to undertake a university course through English. Although students at any level can take IELTS, it is primarily designed for students at a level higher than B1. IELTS will prepare you to read articles in English. IELTS is a skills-based exam. More information about IELTS can be found here.
Complaints and Grievances Policy
Complaints are any issue or problem you have with your experience at ALL. It includes, but is not limited to, issues with classes, classmates, teachers, accommodation or activities.
All complaints are dealt with confidentially.
If you have a complaint or a grievance about any aspect of your experience with us at Active Language Learning you should follow the guidelines below:
1. If you have a complaint, you should first try to resolve it informally, before following the procedure below.
2. Keep a record of your complaint/ grievance. Include who you talk to aobut it, and when.
3. Complaints and grievances are initially presented to the Academic Manager ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. The Academic Manager completes the appropriate form with the student/teacher/staff member.
5. The Academic Manager seeks to resolve the complaint and meets again with the person filing the complaint within 3 working days.
6. If the complaint is not resolved to the complainant’s satisfaction, it is referred to the owners of the school.
7. The owners meet with the complainant within 3 working days and record any details in addition to the original complaint form.
8. The owners seek to resolve the complaint and consult with the complainant.
9. If the complainant is not satisfied with the outcome, a further meeting may be sought with an independent respected member of the sector.
10. At all stages, the complainant can have a witness present when meeting with other parties.
11. If the original complaint is against the Academic Manager then the complaint goes directly to the school owners.
12. If the original complaint is against the school owners, then stages 6-8 are void and the complaint proceeds directly from stage 5 to 9, if it has not been resolved at stage 5.
The maximum time for dealing with complaints is 10 working days.
Absenteeism and Expulsion Policy
2. In the event of illness, the student must produce a medical certificate for any absence longer than these three days.
3. Failure to respond to initial contact is followed up, within 3 working days, with an e-mail to the student requesting a meeting with the Academic Manager.
4. If there is repeated, uncertified absence for a period longer than 2 weeks, the student receives an initial warning letter, reminding her/him of the minimum requirement for attendance.
5. If the student does not improve their attendance within the 2 weeks following this letter, a second letter is issued, warning the student that allowing her/his attendance to go below this requirement will result in a letter of expulsion being issued.
6. Further failure to rectify attendance within 2 weeks, or agree a plan to keep attendance above the 85% level results in the third and final letter (expulsion) being issued, at which stage the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) is also informed and receives a copy of the letter.
All warning letters are issued by the Academic Manager ( email@example.com, phone: +35312843420
Should you have an emergency outside of class times, you should call our 24hour emergency phone on +353 87 606 27 37